Preventing Workplace Injuries in New Jersey
Workplace injuries are a frequent occurrence that are usually preventable. A New Jersey workers’ compensation attorney is able to advise you, if you suspect your workplace is unsafe. The following are some general tips you can use to keep yourself safe while on the job or for your employer to use to keep its employees safe.
- When lifting heavy items, make sure to lift with your knees instead of bending your back. Squat to pick up heavy objects and keep your back straight. Do not twist your body around while lifting, and use both hands when lifting any load.
- Use tools that fit comfortably in your hand are and which are properly sized for the job and for your body.
- If you can, use tools with extension handles that allow you to stand up instead of stooping down.
- When handling a heavy load, don’t reach your hands more than 10 inches away from your body.
- Take frequent stretching breaks when working for extended periods of time.
- Use a chair that is ergonomically designed and fits your body correctly.
- Do not tax or strain yourself too much. Overexerting yourself can lead to injury.
- Immediately report any unsafe working conditions to your supervisor, and if the management doesn’t respond, go to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Enact and utilize safety procedures above and beyond OSHA regulations.
- Give your workers proper safety training on how to use equipment properly and review your safety policies with them regularly.
- If your workers are tired or in danger of overexerting themselves, let them take a break.
- Only allow workers who have been properly trained to use power equipment and hazardous materials.
- Ensure they know what to do in case of emergency.
- Listen to workers’ concerns about unsafe working conditions and create a safety checklist of all the potential hazards around the workplace.
- Get your employees’ input on the creation of health and safety policies.
If you’ve been injured on the job or suspect that your workplace is unsafe, contact dedicated New Jersey workers’ compensation attorney, Dan Matrafajlo for a free initial consultation.