- Free Consultation
5 Important Steps to Take After a Dog Bite Accident
Most dogs are generally friendly animals. However, certain breeds of dogs can be vicious and even when not invoked, causing serious injuries to the victims they attack. If you have been attacked or bitten by a dog, the owner may be liable for the extent of your injuries. The steps you take immediately after the incident can significantly impact your recovery and your ability to obtain the compensation that you deserve.
What To Do After a Dog Bite Incident
After a dog bite or attack, you need to take every step necessary to protect yourself and your legal rights. Below are five important steps you should take after getting injured in a dog bite or attack:
1. Document the scene of accident – Take pictures of the scene of the accident, especially of the dog that attacked you. You should note the size, breed, color and name of the dog, as you may have to identify it later.
2. Obtain contact information of the dog owner – In order to seek compensation from the dog owner, you need to obtain all pertinent information, including name, address, and telephone number.
3. Call the police or 911 – If you or a loved one was seriously bitten by a dog, you should immediately call 911.
4. Report the incident to your local animal control – You should report the incident to your local animal control. Do not give extensive details until you have consulted with an attorney.
5. Seek medical attention – After the dog attack, you should immediately follow up with a physician, especially if you sustained serious injuries.
Perhaps the most important step you should take is to consult with an experienced accident attorney that specializes in handling dog bites or attacks.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a New Jersey dog bite lawyer, please call the Law Offices of Dan T. Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404.