5 Mistakes To Avoid After a Serious Car Accident
When you are injured in a devastating car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. However, just because you are entitled to money damages, it does not mean that you will obtain the full compensation that you deserve. Every step that you take, or fail to take, may impact the outcome of your claim and your ability to get the full extent of the compensation that you deserve.
If you have made the wise decision to hire an experienced car accident attorney, he will help you avoid the mistakes that can cost you the full compensation you may be entitled to. This article will discuss five mistakes you should avoid after a serious car accident.
- Failing to follow up on your medical treatment. After a serious car accident that resulted in injuries, it is important to immediately seek medical treatment. Your team of treating physicians will no doubt place you on a daily or weekly care regimen. It is important go to every doctor appointment and follow every instruction that you receive by your medical providers.
- Failing to file a timely claim. Personal injury claims and lawsuits have time restrictions, known as statute of limitations. This means that you only have a specific time limit to file your claim or file a lawsuit. If you wait too long to file your claim, you may be forever barred from bring your claim and seeking the compensation that you deserve – even if you were clearly not at fault.
- Failing to learn about your legal rights. As a car accident victim, you have certain legal rights. You need to learn about these rights in order to obtain the full compensation that you deserve. Although you may be able to learn about many of your legal rights on the Internet, each accident is unique and has its own set of facts. As such, it is best to consult with an experienced attorney.
- Accepting a settlement too soon. Insurance companies have one goal – to settle personal injury claims for as little as possible, as quickly as possible. This is why you should not trust a quick offer to settle. Often these quick offers do not fairly compensate you for the injuries that you have suffered.
- Failing to consult a lawyer. Not consulting with an experienced car accident attorney often results in accident victims from obtaining the fair compensation that they deserve. Personal injury victims who are not represented by an attorney often find themselves fighting delay tactics that insurance adjusters play to avoid settling a claim for the full value that it is worth.
Avoiding these common mistakes is important after any car accident. In the aftermath of an accident it is easy to get overwhelmed and difficult to remember what you need to do protect your legal rights. To ensure that you make the right choices, you should call an experienced attorney.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a New Jersey car accident attorney, please call the Law Offices of Dan T. Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404.