An Independent Investigator Can Help Your Case
To many, a police report may seem like the final word on an accident version. Is this necessarily true? Sometimes law enforcement is not apprised of all of an incident’s circumstances. There may be unnamed witnesses or unreported factors that have contributed to the accident. In these instances, an independent investigator can help your case.
Who Hires the Investigator?
Although you may be able to take on the cost of an independent investigator, it is not necessary for you to expend your funds. Instead, it makes more sense to let someone with experience in coordinating pursuit of accident claims. Besides, if you have suffered personal injury, your focus should be on pursuing medical treatment and feeling better.
At the Law Offices of Beninato & Matrafajlo, we have several decades of experience representing injured accident victims. We recognize the importance in retaining an expert investigator when the circumstances warrant one.
What’s the Timing in Hiring an Investigator?
It is crucial to hire an investigator as soon as possible. Circumstances change and witnesses forget things. We are not implying that police are negligent in their jobs. However if an accident does not involve a death claim or other significant injuries, their investigation may be limited. Unfortunately, the facts of the case may also be different than those appearing in the police report. A private investigator may be able to find evidence that refutes the police report.
How an Investigator Can Help Your Claim
Still not sure how an investigator can help your claim? Consider these examples:
- Photographs of the accident scene. Whether your accident happened when you slipped and fell or were involved in a car accident, pictures are important to your case, you may even want to see if the innocent was caught on anyone’s home security camera systems for additional evidence.
- Police officer was not notified of eyewitness and did not take statement.
- Police officer summarized witness statements, but they are unclear. An investigator can take a recorded statement, memorializing witness testimony expeditiously.
- Photographs of property damage. Yes, the insurance company or you may take them. An experienced investigator knows the different angles to capture.
- If the police did not investigate the accident, it is up to the claimant to document it.
Frankly, an investigator could be invaluable to your claim. Police officers are human and thus their investigation can be flawed. In order to pursue a case, it is necessary to prove that someone else was responsible for your injuries. An investigator can add to your proofs, as well as disputed a mistaken police report.
If you have been injured in any type of accident, it is crucial that you retain experienced legal counsel. Our office has a concentration in personal injury cases. There is no fee until the matter concludes. Contact us for an appointment to discuss your case.