- Free Consultation
Taxi Accidents: What Should I do and What are My Options?
In general, taxi drivers (also known as cab or taxicab drivers) have a bad reputation for being careless drivers who routinely speed and fail to take heed to the standard rules of driving. As any Newark taxi accident lawyer will tell you, not all accidents that involve cabs can be blamed only on the actions of the cab driver; however, there are many accidents caused by negligent cab drivers or other types of vehicles for hire.
So, what steps do I need to take if I’m involved in a taxi accident?
If you have been involved in a taxicab accident, there are certain steps that should be taken, and they are as follows:
1. Make sure that you obtain the name and identification number of the cab driver, and if the driver does not work for him or herself, make sure you obtain the name and number of the cab company.
2. If other vehicles/parties were involved, get their names and phone numbers too.
3. If possible, take pictures.
4. Always get checked out by a doctor after you’ve been in an accident.
How will I know if I have a claim?
There are a number of actions that may bring about a claim against a taxi driver, some of which are:
- The cab changes lanes too fast and sideswipes another vehicle.
- The taxi neglects to stop at a red light or stop sign which causes a collision in an intersection.
- The cab driver pulls away before the passenger can completely get out of the cab, thus causing a fall.
Individuals who ride in cabs are entitled to compensation if the driver of that cab acted in a reckless, negligent manner that caused you or a love one to be hurt in an accident. Please contact Newark taxi accident lawyer Dan T. Matrafajlo at 908-248-4404 to receive a free consultation regarding your rights and options.