Common Types of Construction Site Accidents
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Mon Oct 2014
- Construction Accident,
The construction field is a dangerous line of work. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 774 construction-related deaths were reported in 2010. This devastating number accounts for more than 18 percent of all work-related fatalities in 2010. In addition, statistics show that one in every 25 construction workers is seriously injured every year.
These staggering statistics are demonstrative of a high-risk work environment. Every day, construction workers are surrounded by hazardous tools, materials and machinery that can be a hotbed for accidents. most common types of construction site accidents include:
- Scaffolding accidents and fall from heights. Construction sites often require workers to work at great heights, such as scaffolding, ladders and on top of roofs and in windows.
- Falling debris. Most construction sites have multiple levels, making it common for workers to get injured by falling tools, materials or even machinery.
- Slip and falls. There are many hazards on construction sites that may lead to a dangerous or even fatal slip and fall accident.
- Electrocutions. Because construction sites are generally a work in progress, wires, power lines and unfinished electrical systems are often exposed.
- Trench collapse. Trenches are necessary on most construction sites. A trench collapse could cause serious injuries to the worker who is trapped inside it.
- Machinery accident. Heavy machinery, such as cranes, bulldozers, jackhammers and drills, can be very dangerous tools that are often used on construction sites.
The Consequences of Construction Site Accidents
When a construction worker is injured in an accident, it affects not only his or her life, but also the lives of their ones. It can render the victim unable to work and earn a livelihood. Treatments could be financially devastating and long-term.
While filing a legal claim against the responsible parties may not undue the harm, it can help the victim and their family members get the financial help they need to continue get the treatment they deserve and sustain their financial livelihood. If you or someone you know was injured in a construction accident, you should consult and experienced construction accident to help protect your legal rights and get the full extent of compensation that you are entitled to.
If you or someone you know was injured in a construction site accident call the Law Offices of Dan T. Matrafajlo at 908-248-4404.