Compensation for a Passenger in a Car Accident

  • Dan T. Matrafajlo
  • Mon Aug 2012
  • Car Accidents,
  • 0

Car Accident LawyerIf you are a passenger and suffer an injury in an automobile accident, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. However, a car accident lawyer in New Jersey will inform you that the damages you may be eligible to receive will vary according to the circumstances surrounding the accident. The first step in receiving compensation for your injuries if you are a passenger in a car accident is to determine what party to file a claim against.

Filing a claim

Depending on who is at fault in the accident, you may need to file a claim against the driver of the vehicle in which you were a passenger. In some cases, this may mean filing a claim against a family member or close friend. However, if the other vehicle’s driver was negligent while operating the vehicle, car accident lawyer in New Jersey may recommend filing a claim against the other party, or the other party’s insurance to recover damages for your injuries. If you are dealing with an insurance company, beware that the insurance carrier is likely to offer you a settlement that is far less than you are entitled to according to the law. Therefore, do not accept a settlement offer from the insurance company without first discussing the offer with a car accident lawyer in New Jersey.

Compensation for your injuries

Depending on the severity of your injuries, including their long-term consequences, a car accident lawyer in New Jersey may inform you that you are eligible to receive a variety of damages.  For example, you may be eligible to receive damages that reimburse you for your medical expenses and any pain and suffering you experience because of the accident. However, you will likely need to provide medical experts at your trial to testify regarding your medical condition to succeed on a damage claim for pain and suffering.

The time to file a claim and receive compensation for any injuries you incur following a passenger accident is limited. Therefore, you need an experienced car accident lawyer in New Jersey who knows the law well and will fight for your rights from the beginning of your case. To discuss your case and receive a free consultation, contact Dan T. Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404 as soon as possible.

  • logos