How to Find the Right Personal Injury Attorney
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Wed May 2015
- Personal Injury,
Suffering serious injuries in an accident that was caused by the negligence of another party can be emotionally devastating. Dealing with your injuries and ensuring that you obtain the best medical care and treatment should be your number one concern. However, it is also important to protect your legal rights. You have to decide whether you want to take legal action soon after your accident. To make sure you make the most informative decision, it is in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specifically handles personal injury claims.
If you decide to hire an attorney, you need to choose one that is the right fit for you and your case. Below are seven steps to help you choose the right attorney:
- Never choose an attorney because you like his commercials on television. Most commercials last only 30 seconds. In this short period of time, attorneys make a series of promises and claims that are well crafted. However, these promises and assertions don’t necessarily mean they are a good lawyer or the right fit for you.
- Find the right type of attorney. Attorneys, like most other professionals, have different specialties. A good criminal law attorney may not necessarily know anything about civil claims. As such, it is important to narrow your search to attorneys that specialize in personal injury law.
- Get recommendations and referrals. The most effective way to look for an attorney is to ask around for recommendations and referrals. You can ask other attorneys, such as your family law attorney, or check with your local bar association. You can also ask friends and family members who have been injured in an accident similar to yours and have sought the advice of an attorney.
- Interview several attorneys. During an interview you can learn about the attorney’s qualifications, experience and track record. Most attorneys provide free consultation, especially in the field of personal injury. To get the most out of your interview, first do some initial research and write a list of questions that will help you during your selection process.
- Go with your gut feeling. Personal injury claims can take months or even years to come to a resolution. Throughout this long process, you will have to meet with your lawyer, talk to him, and overall be prepared to spend a good amount of time with him, especially if your case needs to be litigated. As such it is important that you truly like and feel comfortable with the attorney you ultimately choose to handle your claim.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another individual, it is imperative that you immediately seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a New Jersey personal injury lawyer, please call the Law Offices of Dan T. Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404.