Personal Injury Claim for Accidents At Your Own House

  • Dan T. Matrafajlo
  • Thu Jul 2015
  • Personal Injury,
  • 0

Slip and fall accidents are a common reason for hospital visits each year. According to the National Safety Council, in 2013, approximately 2.5 million nonfatal falls were treated in emergency room departments. An additional 29,500 people died from falls in the same year. A slip and fall accident can happen anywhere, even in the safety of your own home.

You consider your home to be your private sanctuary of comfort, security and relaxation. However, every year more than 18,000 Americans die from home-related slip and fall accidents. This is a sobering reminder that a home is only safe with the efforts of its occupants. Nevertheless, one question that most injured homeowners have is whether they are covered for injuries they suffered in their own homes?
Personal Injury lawsuit

Coverage For Injuries In Your Own Home

The short answer is no. Homeowner’s insurance policies do not generally cover personal injury claims for the policy owners or any family members living with them at the hosue. Rather, coverage is extended solely for injuries sustained by other people, including friends, family members, neighbors, delivery person, or whoever else is invited onto the premises. In other words, coverage does not extend to anyone living at the property.

Unfortunately, if you or another occupant at your home was injured in an accident on your property, you will have to find alternative methods for paying for your medical bills. Most injured occupants utilize their own health insurance to pay for hospital bills and medical payments.

Different Types of Coverage for Accidents At Your Home

If another person who is expressly or impliedly invited to your home gets injured on your property as a result of your negligence, the individual may seek compensation in generally two ways. Most homeowner’s insurance policies offer a personal liability coverage and coverage for medical payments, or “Med Pay.”
The details of both types of coverage are provided in the declaration page of your policy.

  • Med Pay– The medical payments portion of your policy will cover a certain portion of the injured victim’s medical payments. This coverage is a type of no-fault insurance. This means that the injured friend, neighbor, or other non-resident can have their medical bills paid (up to the specified limit) without having to sue you. Med Pay, in essence, is a type of no-fault insurance, meaning your insurance carrier will pay the injured victim’s claim without the individual having to prove whether your were negligent or not.
  • Personal Liability – The personal liability portion of your homeowner’s policy will cover a certain amount, depending on how much coverage you have purchased, per occurrence for a personal injury claim alleging that your negligence or recklessness caused the injuries of the claimant.

Call Us!

Have you been injured in an accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another party? If so, we can help! For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a New Jersey personal injury lawyer, please call the Law Offices of Dan T. Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404.

  • logos