- Free Consultation
Serious Head Injuries: The Hidden Accident Injury
After a serious accident, the most important step you can and should take is to seek immediate medical attention for your injuries. Even if you don’t believe that you were injured or don’t see any symptoms immediately surfacing, you should still go to a doctor for a checkup. Unfortunately, many types of injuries are not always symptomatic or readily apparent. If these serious injuries are left undiagnosed or untreated, they can significantly impact your life and your health.
One example is a closed head injury, such as a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Accident victims who suffer a TBI often fail to recognize the immediate symptoms and signs of this serious injury. If you wait to long to seek medical help and attention for a TBI, you may suffer permanent injuries.
Types of Head Injuries
Head and brain injuries typically result from two different things: 1) direct blows to the head, scalp or skull; or 2) shaking or violent force. If you have experienced either of these in an accident, it is imperative that you get medical attention as soon as possible.
Some common types of head and brain injury that you may sustain in an accident include:
- Hematoma – occurs as the result of blood clotting outside the blood vessels, resulting in major pressure to build up inside the brain.
- Hemorrhage – this type of head injury is uncontrolled bleeding either around the brain or the tissues in the brain.
- Concussion – occurs when the brain bounces against the hard, sharp surfaces of the skull; the results of concussions may be temporary, but repeated concussions can become permanent.
- Edema – this occurs when the brain or its surrounding tissues swell as a result of any type of head injury.
- Skull fracture – this type of head injury happens when the bones in the skull are partially or completely broken and make the brain matter more vulnerable to injury.
- Diffuse axonal injury – this type of head injury involves damage to the brain cells and can be one of the most dangerous types of head injuries because the symptoms are not always outwardly visible.
Regardless of what type of head injury you have suffered in an accident, it will no doubt significantly impact your social, emotional and financial life. With the help of an experienced and aggressive attorney, you can obtain the full compensation that you deserve.
Call an Experienced Head Injury Attorney In New Jersey
If you or someone you know has been injured in any type of accident and suffered a serious head injury as a result, you need to make it a priority to look for an experienced head injury attorney who will work hard to help you seek the damages from the parties responsible for your injuries. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with a New Jersey head injury attorney, please call the Law Offices of Dan T. Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404.