The Deadly Truth about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Mon May 2016
- Personal Injury,
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. Unfortunately, its reality hit Union County residents in full force in recent weeks. News reports indicate that a nine year old boy succumbed to the deadly fumes in his sleep. His ten year old sister is listed in critical condition.
A horrific tragedy beyond imagination. Learn some important information about this deadly gas.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Most of us have heard of carbon monoxide. But, what is it? It’s an odorless gas. For that matter, it also has no color. It is formed as a result of carbon or a carbon compound combustion. It is known for its toxicity. As a result, the body has a severe problem with getting oxygen into the bloodstream.
Instead of oxygen, the blood is flooded with the poison gas. It invades the body’s tissues. Sometimes, it is so intrusive, that carbon monoxide exposure causes death.
Carbon Monoxide Sources
Carbon monoxide exposure can come from a variety of sources. For example, if you leave your car running in an unventilated garage, you are at risk. But, when else should you be worried? The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) suggests safety checks on these items:
- Gas-fueled space heaters
- Gas-fueled furnaces
- Charcoal grills
- Wood stoves
- Portable kerosene heaters
- Gas-fueled ranges
We’ll add that you should exercise caution with gas dryers and fireplaces within your home. Anything with an exhaust system is a concern. Many times these items have malfunctioned or been installed improperly. Perhaps your landlord has failed to maintain them.
Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Exposure
Unfortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning often strikes in the middle of the night. However, sometimes you will have no explanation for certain symptoms when you are awake. Take a look at these listed by the Mayo Clinic. What may start as just as a dull headache may actually be a life threatening condition.
Invest in a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Most communities require installment of a carbon monoxide detector. They are inexpensive. If you cannot afford one, your local fire department may assist you. If it goes off, call the fire department. They have more sophisticated equipment to check to see if you are in danger.
At the Law Offices of Beninato & Matrafaljo, we are deeply committed to those whose injuries or death is accidentally related. We have many years of experience. Contact us for an appointment to discuss the feasibility of a claim.