Common Causes of Motorcycle Injuries
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Mon Nov 2022
- Auto Accident,
Motorcyclists are not injured by “accident,” but rather mostly by negligence. The negligent or reckless actions of other drivers, truckers and bus drivers are the most common cause of most motorcycle crashes. Unfortunately, such negligence causes injury that involves pain, suffering and disfigurement. These life-altering injuries can also wreak financial havoc caused by lost income and inability to pay medical bills.
While in some cases the cause of a motorcycle crash may not be clear, too often police and dangerous drivers automatically place blame on motorcyclists for causing or contributing to the accident. The truth is that most motorcyclists ride with care, safety and caution because they know the dangers of getting on a motorcycle. Still, such care and caution affords little to no protection from negligent and careless drivers.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
According to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report, traffic fatalities increased at a significant rate in 2022, leading to the highest estimated number of crash-related deaths in two decades. New Jersey outpaced the 7% average national gain with an estimated increase in traffic fatalities of more than 13%. And, according to state police, that outsized rate has continued into August.
Although you may not be able to completely avoid getting into a motorcycle accident, you may be able to decrease the likelihood if you understand the common causes. Some common types of driver negligence that routinely result in motorcycle crashes include:
- Distracted driving
- Door accidents
- Left-turn crashes
- Unsafe or blind lane changes
- Failing to yield
- Following too closely
- Rear-end collisions
In addition to negligent drivers, there are other common causes of motorcycle accidents, including but not limited to:
- Inclement weather – especially in cold winter months where the roads are slick and icy
- Road hazards / poor road condition – in such cases, the governmental municipality in care and control of the road may be held responsible for the crash
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI), DWI, Drunk Driving – all types of motor vehicle crashes can be the result of either party operating their vehicle while under the influence of any controlled substance
- Construction hazards – In New Jersey, proving what actually caused your motorcycle accident is a major requirement in obtaining a fair settlement that only an experienced New Jersey motorcycle accident attorney can provide. A good attorney will investigate your claim meticulously to help prove the other driver was at fault for the crash that injured you.
Getting the Full Compensation You Deserve
Regardless of what caused your New Jersey motorcycle crash, it is important that you immediately contact an Elizabeth motorcycle accident attorney to protect your legal rights and help you get the full compensation that you deserve.
Depending on the specific facts of your accident, you may be entitled to compensatory damages for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- And other out of pocket expenses related to the crash
Call an Elizabeth Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has been injured or wrongfully killed in a motorcycle accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another party, an experienced attorney can help. Call Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC at 908-248-4404 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.