Workers Compensation FAQs

workers comp accident attorney NJ

When a person gets injured while at work, it is not unusual for him or her to have questions about what needs to be done next and who needs to be contacted. The following is a list of common questions and answers that can help you determine your next course of action, and if you have been involved in an accident while on the job, you should consider contacting a skilled NJ workers compensation lawyer.

What are my obligations if I am hurt at work?

As noted in New Jersey’s Workers Compensation Act, all employees are required to inform their employers of any injury that happens while at the workplace within 90 days of the incident. Additionally, you should obtain and complete an accident report with your employer immediately.

Who is responsible for paying my medical bills while I’m being treated for a work-related injury?

By law, whenever an employee is injured while at work, the employer is held responsible for all medical treatment that is associated with that injury; however, the employer is permitted to pick the doctor from whom the employee will receive treatment. Doctors who are selected by your employer to treat work-related injuries are known as authorized doctors. Consequently, it is imperative that you inform your employer of your injury and seek treatment from an authorized physician. You should note that failure to get treatment from an authorized doctor might make you personally liable for all medical bills incurred from the work injury. A knowledgeable NJ workers compensation lawyer can further advise you with respect to visiting authorized doctors.

How will I pay my bills while I’m out of work due to my work-related injury?

You will be entitled to receive temporary total disability benefits, as stated under the New Jersey Workers Compensation Act, for the time that you are out of work. Temporary total disability benefits are approximately 70% of your gross weekly earnings and can be paid for up to 400 weeks. Keep in mind, though, that in order for you to get these benefits, you must be receiving treatment from an authorized doctor and he or she must have placed you out of work. Once the doctor determines that you can go back to work, the benefits will cease.

What if my employer refuses to pay temporary benefits? Is there anywhere else I can turn?

Unfortunately, there are times in which employers decide on their own that the injured employee is not entitled to temporary total benefits because they believe that the injury sustained was not work-related or it was not serious enough to warrant such benefits. If this happens, you should contact a NJ workers compensation lawyer for assistance. Luckily for employees, they can also call the state’s Temporary Disability bureau. Benefits that are received from the state typically start on the 8th consecutive day and can last for a maximum of 26 months.

Related Articles: