Catastrophic injuries are those which cause serious damage to one or more body systems. These injuries generally last indefinitely, if they can be healed at all. Consequently, the quality of life for the injury victim is significantly diminished, often to the extent that he can no longer work or take care of himself. It is important for a victim to hire a New Jersey catastrophic injury attorney to help him gain fair compensation that will support his needs long-term.
When one of the body’s systems is compromised through an accident, the victim can be left unable to perform basic tasks. For instance, damage to the neurological system can cause loss of motor control, cognitive ability, speech, etc. A New Jersey Catastrophic injury attorney will use medical test results, doctors’ reports, and other information to determine the extent of the client’s injuries, and the likelihood of recovery.
Among the more common catastrophic injuries are those involving:
- Loss of vision
- Loss of hearing
- Toxic exposure
- Loss of arm or leg
- Damage to the brain
- Spinal cord damage
- Serious burns
- Damage to the respiratory system
- Damage to the pulmonary system
How Such Injuries Typically Occur
Catastrophic injuries can occur in many ways. Explosions, machinery accidents, falls, house fires, and exposure to toxic fumes/chemicals are among these; however, motor vehicle accidents are the culprit in a significant percentage of claims for such injuries.
Victims face an uphill struggle that may never lead to full recovery. Not only is long-term medical care and physical therapy likely; the victim may also need extensive counseling in order to cope with the mental anguish that such a devastating loss of quality of life brings. A New Jersey catastrophic injury attorney will need to take into account the long-term prognosis for the client. Because compensation for such injuries can run into millions of dollars, the insurance company will likely balk at settling without a fight. However, a victim may be able to recover medical costs, current and future loss of income, pain, suffering, loss of consortium, and more.
If You Have Been Injured
If you suffer a catastrophic injury due to the negligence of another, New Jersey catastrophic injury attorney Dan T. Matrafajlo may be able to help. Mr. Matrafajlo is an experienced personal injury attorney who will fight to help you gain compensation. Call 908-248-4404 today to arrange a free consultation.
- Six traits that make up some of the Best Personal Injury Lawyers?
- Can you fire a NJ Personal Injury Lawyer?
- How do Personal Injury Attorneys Get Paid?
- If you suffer a Herniated Disc in a car or trucking wreck is that a serious or permanent injury?
- What in the World is Charitable Immunity?
- Premises Liability and the Concept of Notice in New Jersey
- When You’re Hurt at Work and Your Employer Has No Insurance
- Your DWI Sentence Could Include Education and Treatment
- Why Sunny Autumn Days Could Present A Greater Risk of Accidents
- What Happens If You’re Hurt on a College Campus?