How to Hire a Car Accident Attorney: 5 Expert Tips
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Tue May 2023
- Auto Accident,Car Accidents,
A car accident is a terrifying experience, even if it is a minor fender-bender. The only thing on your mind is your safety, the safety of your passengers and the extent of property damage to your car. Unfortunately, dealing with insurance carriers and having to seek medical treatment on your own can cause even a small crash to become a major hassle and require extensive legal issues.
If another driver was the cause of the wreck and your resulting injuries, you should hire an experienced New Jersey car accident attorney. A good lawyer will handle all legal aspects of your injury claim, allowing you to focus on healing your injuries.
Tips for Hiring the Best New Jersey Car Accident Lawyer
Below are 5 tips to help you hire the best attorney after a car crash:
- Schedule a free consultation. Most car accident attorneys offer free consultations. Unless your situation requires immediate legal help, schedule consultations with several attorneys to find the one with whom you are most comfortable.
- Discuss out of pocket expenses. The majority of accident lawyers charge on a contingency basis – meaning they won’t get paid unless the case is won. Although some may charge a fee to open a case, it should be easy to find an attorney who will take your case on contingency.
- Bring all information about your accident to your initial consultation. You should bring all pertinent information, including pictures of the accident, car insurance policy, medical or hospital records, and witness information, to your initial visit. This information will allow the attorney to give you more realistic advice about your case. If you hire them, having the information up front will also help them build your case in a timely manner.
- Expect settlement of your case to take time. You should not expect a quick settlement. Depending on the specific facts surrounding your case, it can take months or even years before your case comes to a resolution and you get paid.
- Be communicative and professional. It takes a team to successfully handle an injury claim. You need to do your part, just as your New Jersey car accident lawyer needs to do their part. Keep and show up to all appointments set by your attorney. Be presentable and courteous, especially if you are in court or at the opposing counsel’s office for a hearing.
Call a New Jersey Car Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has suffered any type of injury in a car accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another party, an experienced New Jersey accident injury attorney can help. Call Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC at 908-248-4404 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.