How to Protect Against Elder Abuse
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Wed Jun 2021
- Elder Abuse,
Elder abuse is a serious issue that is overlooked for many of us. It is hard to quantify the exact number of elders suffering from this kind of abuse because many cases are not reported to the authorities. However, it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of adults over the age of 60 have been mistreated and abused in the United States.
Although you may not be able to completely prevent elder abuse, you can better protect your loved ones if you understand the common types of elder abuse and the steps you can take to prevent these instances from happening.
Below are the different types of elder abuse:
- Physical abuse and neglect
- Verbal or mental abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
Protecting Against Elder Abuse
Once you understand the different ways your elderly loved one can be at risk for abuse, you can take the necessary steps to protect them. Below are four important steps you can take to protect your loved one from elder abuse:
- Visit often. You should visit your elderly loved one as much as possibly, especially if they reside in a nursing home or senior living. When you create a strong support system for your loved one, it helps prevent elder abuse. Spending time with them also gives them a feeling of security and the confidence to tell you about potential abusers.
- Make sure your loved one has social outlets. Too much isolation puts them at risk for abuse and can increase the likelihood of depression and sadness, which can ultimately make them vulnerable to abuse.
- Make sure your elderly loved one understands the different types of abuse. It is important they pay attention to the care and treatment they get, especially at nursing care facilities.
- Help them create an irrevocable trust and other important estate planning documents. These estate planning tools are important in preventing financial abuse as well. It will also be an effective way to ensure that your loved one’s wishes and beneficiaries are protected and cannot be altered.
Call a New Jersey Elder Abuse Attorney Today!
The legal team at Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.
If you suspect a loved one has become the victim of elder abuse, you need an experienced and caring legal advocate on your side. Our experienced New Jersey elder abuse attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 908-355-7100 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.