What to Expect Physically After a Car Accident
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Wed Aug 2023
- Accident,Auto Accident,
Car crash injuries can vary from minor to severe to even fatal. Most car accident victims do not feel the full extent of their injuries until days or even weeks after the crash. This can make it difficult to know physically what to expect in the aftermath of a car accident.
However, regardless of how major or minor your injuries are, it is in your best interest to immediately consult with and hire an experienced New Jersey car accident attorney to help you get the maximum money damages you deserve.
Common Physical Symptoms After a Car Crash
Depending on the type and extent of crash you were involved in, you will experience different physical symptoms in the aftermath. Below are some common symptoms you may experience:
- Headaches. Headaches are one of the most common physical symptoms after a car accident. Although headaches are common, most accident victims do not feel it right away. In most cases, they wake up the next morning with a headache or even experience it days later. Accident-related headaches can be caused by:
- Neck or shoulder tension
- Head injury or traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Anxiety or other type of PTSD
- Neck, Shoulder, or Back Pain. Neck, shoulder, and back pain is also very common after a car crash. In some cases, pain in these areas may appear out of nowhere. The pain can also feel like it is shooting down your arms or legs. Either way, you should not ignore the pain and seek immediate medical attention.
- Bruising. Bruising after a car accident can happen in the chest area from the impact of a tightened seatbelt, from the impact of your body to the inside of the car, or against the airbag. Bruising generally heals on its own, but it can also reflect internal organ damage. As such, you should get any bruising medically checked out immediately.
- Numbness or Tingling. Tingling or numbness, especially in the back, shoulders or hands and feet, can be caused by a damaged nerve. These symptoms will need to be medically checked out immediately because if left untreated it can result in serious issues.
- Mood Changes. Injuries after a car crash are not only limited to the physical body. Emotional and mental anguish is very common in accident victims. You may notice yourself experiencing anxiety, mood swings, depression and even anger after an accident.
Regardless of what type of symptoms you experience in the hours, days, or weeks after a car crash, you should immediately seek medical attention. Symptoms of certain serious injuries may not surface until some time after an accident, which may be too late and have already resulted in more serious injuries.
Call a New Jersey Car Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has suffered any type of injury in a car accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another party, an experienced New Jersey car accident injury attorney can help. Call Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC at 908-248-4404 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.