Do I Need a DWI Defense Attorney?
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Thu Dec 2022
Not all drunk driving charges and accusations mount to a conviction – whether it’s because the prosecutor simply does not have enough evidence to get a conviction or the accused is innocent of the accused charges. This makes it imperative for you to immediately consult with and hire an experienced and aggressive New Jersey DWI defense attorney if you have been charged with driving under the influence.
The Importance of Having a DWI Defense Lawyer
It certainly helps to have an attorney fighting on your behalf, regardless of whether or not you are guilty of drunk driving. A seasoned attorney will:
- Know the drunk driving procedural rules that apply to your case which govern the pleadings you have to file in your case
- Calendar the rime periods for obtaining information and filing motions in your case
- Obtain the necessary evidence to prove your innocence
- Determine whether you should enter a plea negotiation
- Prevent you from giving potentially damaging statements or other evidence to the police
Potential Consequences of Representing Yourself
In almost all drunk driving cases, it is a mistake to attempt to handle your own defense. The stakes are always high – even in minor cases. If you handle your case incorrectly, you may end up spending even more money in legal fees in an attempt to fix the harm you caused by not hiring a New Jersey DWI lawyer. In some cases, the problems caused may not even be able to get fixed.
The bottom line is that if you have been charged with a crime, it is best to immediately consult with a drunk driving defense attorney – even if you believe that you are innocent. It is simply not worth it to attempt to represent yourself.
How to Find the Right DWI Defense Attorney
Being charged with drunk driving is serious business because a conviction can significantly impact all aspects of your life. Finding and hiring the right attorney is crucial to protecting your legal rights. In order to determine the right lawyer for you, you should ask the following:
- How long the attorney has been practicing
- How much experience the firm has with handling cases similar to your fact pattern
- The success rate of the attorney in handling such cases
- The availability of the attorney in speaking with you if you have questions
Contact Us Today!
If you have been arrested for a DWI offense, you should discuss your case, including any potential meritorious motions to suppress, with an experienced New Jersey DWI attorney. For more information or to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled attorneys, please call Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC at 908-248-4404.