Elder Abuse: Frequently Asked Questions
- Dan T. Matrafajlo
- Fri Feb 2022
- Elder Abuse,
Elder abuse is the physical, emotional, financial, sexual mistreatment or neglect of an elderly individual. If you or an elderly loved one is the victim of any type of elder abuse, you deserve justice and compensation. You need to hire an aggressive, yet aggressive New Jersey elder abuse attorney to protect your legal rights.
Dealing with elder abuse, whether for you or on behalf of a loved one, can be very stressful and emotional. You will no doubt have many questions about the process and what you need to do to protect your rights. Although it is best to have these questions answered by a qualified New Jersey elder abuse attorney, we have provided answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from our clients below.
- Is elder abuse a legal issue?
Elder abuse is not only a legal issue, but it can and almost always has a significant impact on not only the victim but often their family members as well.
- What is considered elder abuse in New Jersey?
Elder abuse is defined as any knowing, intentional or negligent act by a caregiver or any individual that results in harm or serious risk of harm to a vulnerable adult age 65 years or older.
- What are the 7 signs of elder abuse?
The National Center on Elder Abuse distinguishes between seven different types of elder abuse. These include:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Financial/material exploitation
- What are the 5 common signs of elder abuse?
Elder abuse can easily go undetected, especially if your elderly loved one lives in a nursing home facility. As such, it is important to keep an eye out for at least the 5 most common sings that may indicate elder abuse:
- Injuries such as bruises, cuts, or broken bones
- Malnourishment or unexpected/sudden weight loss
- Poor hygiene
- Symptoms of anxiety, depression, or confusion
- Unexplained transactions or loss of money
- Withdrawal from family members or friends
- How is elder abuse reported in New Jersey?
- If you need to report suspected elder abuse occurring in the home, you should visit the New Jersey Adult Protective Service Providers Link to contact specific county offices directly.
- If you suspect elder abuse in long-term care facilities, in state line call 1-877-582-6995 for help.
- Call 609-943-4023 to report suspected elder abuse in long-term care facilities, out of state line.
Call a New Jersey Elder Abuse Attorney Today!
The legal team at Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accidents.If you suspect a loved one has become the victim of elder abuse, you need an experienced and caring legal advocate on your side. Our experienced New Jersey elder abuse attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at 908-355-7100 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.