- Free Consultation
Obtaining Photographs of Vehicle Damage
Unfortunately, it happens more than we care to reveal concerning our cases. A person is injured in a car accident and neglects to photograph their property damage. The importance of obtaining photographs of vehicle damage and other photographic documentation cannot be stressed enough. It can make a world of difference in the amount an accident victim receives for their injuries.
How Important are Photographs?
In short, photographs are extremely important to car accident claims. Not only do they show the extent of property damage, but they can also help with cases that are subject to accident reconstruction. Do not limit photographs to just your vehicle or worry about fancy cameras. Use your cellphone!
It is also important to take pictures of the accident scene and surroundings. Attempt to show where the vehicles landed at the conclusion of the incident. Do not forget to take photos of the other driver’s car as well. All of these photographs will help document your version of the accident.
Photographs of the Accident Scene
While you are awaiting police response, attempt to take photographs of the accident scene. Of course, it is imperative that you exercise safety precautions in taking pictures. Do not put yourself in further jeopardy to sustain additional injuries. Unfortunately, many subsequent accidents happen when drivers are unaware that there is already an obstruction on the roadway.
Include the following in your photos:
- Resting positions of the vehicles
- License plates for all cars and any identifying information. (If the other vehicle is a commercial one, get photos of door panels or other documentation that suggests ownership of the vehicle).
- Document landmarks where the accident occurred.
- Photograph property damage to things other than vehicles. Were street poles knocked down? Take pictures.
- Road conditions. Was the roadway marred by obstructions? How was the weather?
- If there is debris in the roadway, make sure to capture it in your photos. The same is true for skid marks. These may all be important to your case.
Photographs of Vehicle Damage
In documenting vehicle damage, it is important to take an assortment of photographs. If possible, take pictures of all vehicles involved in the accident. Here are some important tips:
- Take photographs from all angles of the car. Even if there appears to be no damage in certain places, it is crucial that property damage is examined as a whole.
- Ascertain if there is interior property damage and document it.
- If the impact caused glass to shatter or parts to move from the vehicle, make sure to photograph them.
An automobile accident can be a devastating experience. If you have been injured in any type of vehicular accident, the Law Offices of Beninato and Matrafaljo can offer you legal advice. Contact us to see how our years of experience can help you.