What to do after you’ve sustained a job injury in New Jersey


If your injury requires medical treatment, you should make a request to your employer as soon as possible. New Jersey law allows your employer, or your employer’s insurer, to designate a doctor or other health care provider to treat your injury. If the professional neglects to take reasonable and necessary steps to cure or relieve your injury, you may be able to petition the state Division of Workers’ Compensation.

Regardless of whether your injury requires immediate medical attention, you need to notify your employer as soon as possible. This notice does not necessarily have to be in writing. It’s sufficient for you to verbally tell your supervisor, foreman, or anyone in authority that you have been injured while performing your job duties.

If your employer refuses to report your accident to its workers’ compensation insurance carrier, you have two options available:

  1. Contact the insurer directly,
  2. File a claim with the New Jersey Division of Workers’ Compensation.

Your employer should display its insurer’s contact information in a prominent place, but if you cannot find it, you can contact the Compensation Rating & Inspection Bureau to find out who provides your employer’s workplace compensation insurance.

If you choose to file a claim with the Division of Workers’ Compensation, you may wish to hire a New Jersey workers’ compensation attorney to help you with your claim. The workers’ compensation system can be confusing and overwhelming, and there are deadlines to be met. An experienced attorney will guide you through the process.

After receiving notification of your injury, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier will investigate the facts about your injury and determine whether you are eligible to receive benefits. If you disagree with their decision, this is another situation where you may wish to file a claim with the Division of Workers’ Compensation or request an informal hearing.

If you have been injured at work, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits even if your employer is not at fault. If you’re not already represented by a New Jersey workers’ compensation attorney, call Dan Matrafajlo at (908) 248-4404 for a free evaluation of your case.

Free Case Review

Latest Injury News


A Traumatic Brain Injury Can Change Your Life Forever

September 28, 2017
accident Serious Injuries

Common Accidents That Result in Serious Injuries

June 06, 2015

Congratulations Attorney Dan Matrafajlo's Selection 2015 New Jersey Rising Stars List

April 16, 2015


  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Superlawyers
  • New jercy association for justice
  • AVVO
  • Cambridge
  • Top 50


Free Case Evaluation

Please fill out the following form and we will contact you as soon as possible.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.