East Brunswick, NJ Motorcycle Attorney
Motorcycle riders continue to be overrepresented in fatal traffic crashes. Motorcycles by nature are far less crashworthy than closed passenger vehicles. They are also less visible to other motorists on the road. In 2019, 5,014 motorcyclists died in vehicle crashes on the road. In 2019, motorcyclists were nearly 29 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle miles traveled.
At the law firm of Beninato & Matrafajlo, we have built our careers on holding individuals and entities accountable for acts of negligence. Over the decades, we have helped countless motorcycle accident victims recover full and fair compensation for their personal injury or the wrongful death of a loved one. We take pride in the fact that we are driven to get the maximum results our injured clients deserve.
Types of Compensation for Motorcycle Collisions in New Jersey
When you file a personal injury claim for injuries you sustained in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to several different types of compensation depending on the specific damages you suffered.
Our East Brunswick personal injury attorneys will investigate the circumstances of your accident, identify all liable parties, and work diligently to achieve a fair outcome for your case.
Depending on the nature of your motorcycle accident injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical costs
- Emotional distress and mental trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of the accident
New Jersey State Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Requirements
New Jersey State law requires you to possess an operator’s license and either take a motorcycle road test or pass the New Jersey Motorcycle Safety Program in order to legally operate a motorcycle on the roadways. In addition, you are also required to register and title your motorcycle in the state of New Jersey. Once that is complete, you must get the state minimum insurance coverage.
New Jersey law requires you to have motorcycle liability coverage of at least:
- $10,000 of property damage coverage
- $25,000 of bodily injury coverage
- $50,000 of bodily injury coverage in accidents causing multiple injuries
- $50,000 of death coverage
- $100,000 of death coverage in accidents causing multiple deaths
Top Reasons Why Motorcyclists Are Prone to Injury
Motorcycles offer significantly less protection from the environment surrounding them than passenger vehicles. Even in single-motorcycle accidents, riders are at a significantly greater risk than motorists in passenger vehicles. The risk in multi-vehicle accidents is even greater. As such, motorcyclists suffer more severe and fatal injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injuries.
Four main characteristics of motorcycle design leave motorcyclists prone to injury:
- Lack of a frame. Unlike passenger vehicles, motorcycles lack a metal frame casing to protect the rider in the event of an impact or accident. As a result, motorcyclists suffer direct impact with the road or vehicles in a crash.
- Instability. Since motorcycles operate on two wheels, instead of four, it leaves them much less stable than motor vehicles.
- Low weight. Motorcycles are smaller and lighter than most vehicles, leaving them susceptible to damages, especially in collision with larger vehicles.
- Low visibility. The low profile and smaller size of motorcycles also make it more difficult to be spotted by other motorists on the road.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The lack of a steel frame, airbags, seatbelts and other safety features makes motorcyclists extremely vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Some common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Bruises, cuts and lacerations
- Fractured and broken bones
- Internal organ injuries
The East Brunkswick NJ motorcycle accident attorneys at the law firm of Beninato & Matrafajlo will investigate the full extent of your injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident and make sure you get the maximum money damages you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Consulting with an East Brunswick personal injury attorney is the best way to get all of your motor cycle accident qustions specifically answered. However, below are quick answers to some frequently asked questions:
- Who is at fault in most motorcycle accidents?
Passenger motorists are often held in the majority responsible for motorcycle collisions, but the actions of both motorists and motorcyclists are considered in the final decision.
- What is likely the number one reason for accidents involving motorcycles and cars?
Like most accidents, the common causes of accident involving motorcycles and cars are reckless driving, speeding and impaired driving. However, other likely causes include:
- Driving distracted
- Driving aggressively
- Road conditions, such as potholes
- Inclement weather
- Mechanical errors on either vehicle
- Where do most motorcycle accidents occur?
Most motorcycle accidents happen at an intersection. According to the NHTSA, almost half of all motorcycle accidents occur at traffic intersections. As such, it is important for both passenger vehicle motorists and motorcyclists to pay close attention to determine the right of way and avoid a collision.
- Do I need to hire an attorney to handle my motorcycle accident claim?
You are not legally required to be represented by an attorney to handle your motorcycle injury claim. However by doing so you will be in a better position to settle your claim for its full value if you are represented by an experienced and aggressive East Brunswick motorcycle accident attorney.
Call an East Brunswick NJ Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has been injured or wrongfully killed in a motorcycle accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another party, an experienced East Brunswick NJ motorcycle accident lawyer attorney can help. Call Beninato & Matrafajlo Attorneys at Law, LLC at 732.723.8840 to schedule a free, complimentary consultation with our legal team today.